Welcome to our VIEW of the world!

______________________________________________

Home Sweet Home!

Home Sweet Home!

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Day 27 - Nov 5

FATHER, DISTANT DAUGHTER

We almost missed our bus this morning but got their just in the nick of time. We met a couple (Connie and Rusty) that was heading to around the same area we were going and they hadn't done the Metro Train thing yet. So, we told them to follow us. We had a nice talk with them and invited them to Swil Kanim's performance on Friday. They said they would definitely come, so that will be nice to have them there. They own an RV park in St. Louis Missouri.

We arrived at the Museum for Swil Kanim's 12 o'clock rehearsal and got the tour of the Theater space, Green Room and the Backstage area. The Rasmuson Theater at the American Indian Museum is great and will be perfect for Swil Kanim's performances. They had a great backdrop with the Moon and Raven. The acoustics were great of course and Swil Kanim played a few songs to get the feel of the space. I recorded the one above (Father, Distant Daughter).

After the sound check we had the rest of the day to play "tourists" so we took advantage of our time. We walked our feet off! We first headed to the Washington Monument but we didn't go in. We decided to do that later. We wound up in front of the Whitehouse and Swil Kanim had a couple of newspapers with the OBAMA MAKES HISTORY headlines. He decided he wanted a picture of himself in front of all the monumental places holding the paper. We were taking the pictures in front of the Whitehouse and before we knew it we were there for half an hour. Other people saw what a great idea it was and asked if they could borrow the paper for their pictures.

We then found ourselves at the WWII Memorial which is a circular structure with a fountain in the middle. When you stand near the middle you can see the Monument on one side and then directly behind you is the Lincoln Memorial. We saw several WWII Vet's that were also taking it all in. Swil Kanim talked to one gentleman who was wearing the Purple Heart Medal. We took a picture of him and then Swil Kanim asked him if he could salute him. The man was honored.

We then walked down the walkway by the Reflective Pool heading to the Lincoln Memorial. Out of the trees and down the walkway a squirrel came running to me. He stopped in front of me so I stopped. He then looked up at me and before I knew it he climbed up my leg and on my arm and was just looking at me. Swil Kanim hurried to snap a picture and only caught him running back down my leg and back into the trees. It was pretty funny. Other people behind us saw it all happen and asked if I had some kind of animal magnetism.

Swil Kanim wanted to visit the name he shared with RICHARD A MARSHALL that he had seen many years ago on the Vietnam War Memorial Wall, and it changed his life. It was on that day he decided not to re-enlist in the Army. He realized he would best serve his country with the gift the Creator gave him. I am thankful for the RICHARD A MARSHALL whose name is on The Wall. We also met a couple from Bellingham while at the Wall. We didn't get their last name but Sherry and Erik...it was nice to meet you!!

We definitely walked our legs off and got back to the RV by around 6pm. It is good to be home and our dog Bailey was definitely glad to see us. My feet felt like they were going to throb out of my shoes but I felt bad that Bailey had been cooped up all day so I went for a long walk with him. I had the urge to make it a very short walk but he was so happy to be outside that I thought it was only fair that he got his turn. I have a feeling that the dreaded Restless Leg Syndrome is going to hit me hard tonight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's all so blessed and unbelievable! Hopes, dreams and prayers for my dearest of friends all coming true in rapid succession. I barely know what to do with myself I'm so happy! Thank you for sharing your journey. Hugs. -Suzann

DC Tourists

DC

Cross Country Trip Pictures


Lori and Swil Kanim